Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Thoughts on ROOTS and BRANCHES...

Friends-

Hello there you gorgeous humans! I hope everyone enjoyed the results yesterday and all the interesting stories and testimonies! So awesome to hear from each other. Our fellow Tree Challenge participant, Cindy Sorensen, put together some great information and inspiration on our theme this week, learning about our dear departed ones! Thanks so much Cindy for your help! I love what you had to say. Ok... Here's Cindy's info...
When I think of genealogy I can’t help but think of a tree.  The family is often represented as a tree with it's roots and its branches.  
Since I have lost both of my parents and both of my in-laws, I have had great yearning to know more about my family.   Often I have been able to find histories of my ancestors, some I have found from Family Search, family blogs, and just by searching the internet. Other histories were handed down from my mother and grandmother.  My mother-in-law kept a detail journal of her life, which has been copied and made into a book.  The more I learn of my ancestors the more I discover about myself and the more gratitude I have for the faith and sacrifice of my parents, grandparents, and all those great grandparents. Each time I learn about one of them, then I am more curious to learn of their parents and where they lived and what was happening in history while they were alive.  I also am more grateful to my Heavenly Father for the love  He has for all of His children.  I truly believe that all His children are numbered and He has not forgotten any of them and it is so important that we seek them out and give them the same opportunity to have the saving ordinances that we have.  Family Search is an amazing tool to learn about your family, along with searching military records, Find a Grave, Histories of towns where your family members lived.  
I would like to share a little find that I found on my cousin’s blog about my Grandpa Bingham, he died when my dad was 15.

What kind of man was Ted Bingham?
He owned a 1929 Chevrolet Coach that he purchased from "La Jara Filling Station." The title was recorded 10 Nov 1936. He lived in Manassa, Conejos County, Colorado in 1936.
3 Sep 1916. Ted was baptized and confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He was confirmed by Christen Jensen.
27 Dec 1935. James Edward Bingham was ordained an Elder in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. This took place in the Manassa Ward.
April 30, 1937, he was chairman of Troop 273, Romeo Colorado of the Boy Scouts of America.
7 February, 1942 He paid a license fee of $5.45 to the State of Colorado to register his 1929 Dodge Sedan. His address at the time was Romeo, Colorado.
He held a Chauffer's License for the state of Colorado. It was issued on Valentine's Day 1945. It give his birth date as Aug 8, 1998. He had brown hair and blue eyes and was 5' 7" tall.He registered for the selective service board of Manassa, Colorado 16 February, 1942. He was a resident of Romeo, Colorado at the time.
He paid $2 for a Small Game Fishing and hunting license 16 Feb 1942.
On March 26, 1945, he paid $7.69 for 148 shares to the Manassa Land and Irrigation Company
He was Asst. Scoutmaster for the Boy Scouts of America, Troop 273 Romeo, Colorado 31 December 1942.
He was a member of the Railroad Union for the D. & R.G.W.R.R. Co. His payroll number was 30434, but no date was given on the card. 
On January 26, 1944, he signed his Union Card for the Santa Fe, New Mexico Local 1353 Brotherhood of Carpenters.
On June 10, 1944, He purchased a Resident Combined fishing and Small Game hunting license. He was a resident of Romeo.
On the 21st of January, 1946, he paid a $5.45 license fee to the State of Colorado to register his Chevrolet Coach. His address at the time was Romeo.
I never knew my grandfather personally, but after seeing copies of these documents, many of which were at one time carried in his wallet, I feel that I know him a little better.

Posted by Kent Vance 

I hope each of you can find something new about one of your ancestors.  Your children might think that that photo album or that scrapbook that you spent hours putting together is just clutters, so I suggest you hand it down to your grandchildren so they can learn about you!  


Here is an awesome talk on Roots and Branches from and an LDS general conference. Enjoy!

Cindy Sorensen
Love you all!
Sarah Crawford

No comments:

Post a Comment